Beef Belly Bacon Recipe
We love it when our customers get creative with our quality meats. One of our customers Tony Smith recently experimented with our Beef Belly to create a mouth-watering Beef Belly Bacon. This recipe uses the EQ method for the curing process, delivering a delicious result that you'll love. Here's how to make it at home!
- 1 Beef Belly from Wellborn 2R Ranch
- Kosher salt, weighed according to the EQ method based on the weight of the belly
- Curing salt, weighed according to the EQ method based on the weight of the belly
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2-gallon zip-lock bag or vacuum sealer
- Wire rack
- Sheet pan
Preparing the Cure
- Weigh Your Ingredients: Use the EQ method to determine the exact weight of the kosher salt and curing salt based on the weight of the Beef Belly.
- Mix the Cure: Combine the kosher salt, curing salt, white sugar, black pepper, and smoked paprika in a bowl.
- Apply the Cure: Rub the mixed ingredients generously on all sides of the beef belly, making sure to use all of the rub.
- Bag the Belly: Place the seasoned beef belly into a 2-gallon zip-lock bag. Force as much air out of the bag as possible. Alternatively, you can use a vacuum sealer for this step.
- Refrigerate: Place the bagged beef belly in the fridge for 4-5 days. During this period, massage the curing ingredients into the beef belly and flip the bag daily.
- Rinse Off: After the curing period, remove the beef belly from the bag and rinse off as much of the cure as possible.
- Pellicle Formation: Place the beef belly on a wire rack, then place the rack on a sheet pan. Place the pan back into the fridge, uncovered, for about 24 hours. This will form a pellicle that helps the meat take on smoke.
Smoking the Beef Belly
- Preheat the Smoker: Set your smoker's pit temperature to about 200°F.
- Smoke: Place the beef belly in the smoker and smoke until it reaches an internal temperature of about 150°F.
- Cool Down: Remove the beef belly from the smoker and allow it to cool a bit before placing it back in the fridge. This will make slicing easier.
Cooking the Beef Belly Bacon
- Slice Thinly: It's essential to slice the beef belly very thinly as beef fat doesn't render the same as pork fat.
- Cook: The beef belly bacon is best cooked at medium-low heat in a skillet until crisp.
Enjoy your Wellborn 2R Ranch Beef Belly Bacon!
- Make sure to massage the meat and flip the bag daily during the curing process for best results.
- Slicing the bacon thinly will result in a more satisfying crispiness when cooked.
We hope you enjoy making this delicious Beef Belly Bacon using Wellborn 2R Ranch's quality Beef Belly! Let us know how it turns out for you.